Hard water and Chlorine are no fun!
Some may be oblivious of how hard water affects the hair, but it isn’t desirable. The effects of hard water on the hair can go unnoticed for a while. Certain tell-tale signs such as brassy orange hair are simple enough to identify, but other damaging results may accrue over time and not be so apparent.
In UAE, most people would complain that their hair has changed for the worse after moving to Dubai. The expression “It must be something in the water” oftentimes tend to be true.
Hard water is typically defined "as water that has a high mineral content” – especially calcium and magnesium – in comparison to soft water. You’ll notice hard water if you got heaps of mineral build up in your tap and showerhead fixtures. The spots in between the tiles in your shower might be a yellowish color.
Hard water affects hair because minerals combine with your natural oils to cause that greasy, sticky feeling at the scalp. What’s even worse, this mineral buildup doesn’t let conditioner to penetrate the hair hence why the ends are dry. And if you have color-treated hair, hard water is likely to turn it brassy.
On the other hand, chlorine exposure on hair is detrimental as chlorine removes natural oils covering hair resulting in loss of hair shine and flexibility, as well as making them more susceptible to mechanical damage and hair loss.
Softening the effects of hard and chlorinated water helps hair go from dull to brilliant. Luckily, there are sure ways to save your hair from these environmental factors.
Malibu C Hard Water Wellness Remedy is the perfect antidote for anyone using hard water. A patented, fresh-dried vitamin complex that dissolves into a gel in the palms of the hands forming a rich lathering treatment specifically formulated for hair shampooed in hard water or exposed to water softeners that use salt and/or phosphates.
What it does:
- Naturally removes hard water deposits and impurities that can discolor or damage hair.
- Eliminates brassiness. Safely restores natural color. Revitalizes for shine and manageability.
- Normalizes hair texture. Restores flow and movement of hair. Prevents dry-feeling hair.
On the other hand, the simplest way to protect your hair from chlorine and other chemicals in the shower is by using a shower filter. The Vivandi Dechlorinating Shower Filter have been specifically designed based on the chlorine contents of the Middle East’s major cities’ drinking water.
Benefits of using a shower filter:
- Shower filters provide several benefits such as chlorine removal, reduction of soap scum, prevention of dry skin and hair and the removal of unpleasant odors.
- Many shower filters help balance water ph for better sudsing and cleaning.
- Remove synthetic chemicals in the water that can vaporize and be inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
- Because the hair is able to preserve its natural moisturizing oils, it becomes softer and healthier when chlorine is removed from showering water.
- Without the drying effects of chlorine, skin becomes softer, healthier, and younger looking.