Sometimes despite our valiant efforts to keep our hair in their best form, unknowingly, we make simple mistakes that wreak havoc on our precious locks.
The hair is our defining feature, but if you make any of these common mistakes, you could be causing serious damage to hair.
- Sleeping with product in your hair – Just like you should remove your make up before you hit the sack, you also must get rid of any styling products on your hair before bed. This creates build up and make it more difficult to restyle the next day. Clarifying shampoos, such as Malibu C Un-do-goo Shampoo, helps get rid of styling product resins from the hair.
- Too tight hairstyles – Pony tails that are too tight can cause broken strands and damage to the hair shaft and cuticle. Braids, ponytails should be worn loosely, especially, when sleeping. Hair is fragile, and having more tension added to it throughout the day is a big no-no! And on occasion when you do wear the style, massage your scalp after removing to promote nourishment.
- Not using Heat Protection – If you absolutely have to blow dry, curl or straighten your hair, you should never skip on using a heat protectant to defend your hair and to strengthen the strands. Prior to applying heat, dry hair until damp and then gently run or spray the product all over your hair. You can try Malibu C Leave-In-Mist conditioner, a pH balanced thermal protector that also defends against UV damage.
- Not being mindful of your eating habits – Everyone should know that diet plays an important role in the health of our hair, skin and nails. Since hair is composed of protein, it needs protein to grow. Incorporate foods rich in Omega 3 and protein in your daily diet by eating more fish, nuts and chicken, for example. If your diet lacks specific nutrients, including vitamins, minerals or protein, it can affect the condition and strength of your hair. Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements contain the exclusive marine complex AminoMar®, as well as Biotin, Zinc, Vitamin C, Horsetail Extract and Iron, to nourish hair from within.
- Styling Wet Hair - Hair is most fragile when it’s wet, so attempting to manipulate too much at this point can do more harm than good. It’s ideally best to wait until hair is damp or almost dry before you begin your styling rituals.
- Intense Towel Drying – Rubbing your hair vigorously promotes hair breakage, thanks to all that friction. Rather than using a towel to dry hair, it’s better to use an old shirt, and to blot your strands instead of rubbing them dry.
- Too many chemicals – If your roots are peeking, the go-to-fix is not to color all over. Inform your stylist that you only need a root touch up which is also cheaper. If you’re doing it yourself, buy a kit especially made for roots regrowth. Chemicals from hair color depletes hair’s natural oils leaving it brittle and dry. Alternatively, for an easy and quick touch up you can try Toppik Root Touch Up Spray, a root concealer spray that contains nutrient rich formula and is gentle on the hair.
- Too much heat – Because styling requires heat, sometimes we tend to overdose on it between the hair dryer, curling iron and straightener which causes damage to the hair. If you can’t skip the heat, never set styling tools on the highest possible setting to hasten things up. Opt for the cooler setting instead. Your hair will thank you.